Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I love the smell of tomatoes on my hands

There's just something so earthy about it. I feel like I've really been in the garden when I smell like mater plants.

I can't believe it's been two weeks since I posted something. I've been working in the garden, but I just haven't had time to post to the blog. Plus I took some pics of the garden week before last, and when I came in to download them they were just gone from my memory card. I have yet to figure out why that happened. After that I just didn't worry about making a blog entry. Pictures, to me, are half the fun of a blog. Last week I was out of town on business, so now I'm playing catch up on my blogging.

We had a pretty busy Memorial Day weekend. We didn't head out the lake house as I had originally planned. We stayed at home and worked in the yard. Charlie had gotten a head start on the yard before I got in Friday evening, but we put some finishing touches on it Saturday. After a trip to Home Depot I came home and put some water soluble Miracle Grow fertilizer on the garden. Yeah, my aspirations of growing an organic garden went down the tubes when I started getting garden envy. While I was fertilizing I noticed that ants were all over one of my pea plants. They'd pretty much sheared one leaf off the plant and were working on another one. I had no idea that ants would do that. So I soaked 'em down some Sevin Dust. Hasta la vista ants....

I picked about a dozen strawberries out of my strawberry box. So far I'm not a huge fan of the strawberries. Most of them are very tart, and they're pretty dinky. Maybe I'm not doing something right, and that's why they aren't very sweet. Anyone have any suggestions??

The maters are growing very well.

Quick Pick
Cherokee Purple tomato
Baby black Krim
My corn is finally growing!
My American melons are getting big
One of my heads of cauliflower. I hope it stays cool enough that this won't go seed.
A good sized Fooled You pepper. Won't be long before I can pick it
Several more Fooled Yous on the other plant.

My sugar snaps are pretty well done, but the beans, peas, eggplants, and maters are coming on
This watermelon plant is still so dinky. Dunno what the deal is.


No comments:

Post a Comment