Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wow, it's been a long time

My little sister came to visit us from Missouri, so I haven't been online to blog. I've still been checking on the garden, but just haven't been able to get online to talk about it.

My little carrot seeds sprouted last week. I think covering them with the vermiculite really helped. A lot more of the seeds sprouted this time than last, and it's the same seed packet. So I think that's a method I will use from here on out.

Hard to tell here, but there are some carrot seedlings in there.

Our strawberry box is looking good and about to produce a second round of strawberries. After a brief harvest earlier this year, some critter discovered our box and began their own harvesting. We built a cover this weekend to critterproof the berries, so we hope we'll be able to pick the strawberries this time around.


Our strawberry cage. Not very pretty, but so far it's working. Hopefully we can beef it up with a frame and some ribs to go across the arch.

I think I mentioned previously that my brother picked me up some cauliflower plants. I noticed last week that they were getting chewed on my something, and I picked a little worm off of it. Then I noticed a lot of dirt on the leaves, but didn't think too much about it. The next day the plants were covered with caterpillars. Turns out the "dirt" was actually insect eggs. Argh! Luckily I hadn't planted the cauliflower in the garden. Since then I've been lookout for creepy crawlies in the garden.

The caterpillars

Oh the devastation!


With the loss of my cauliflower plants it was time for another trip to Cook's Nursery. I scoped out the cauliflowers. It looked like several of the plants had some insect damage and others had eggs on them. Now I was able to distinguish the bugs from the dirt, so I made sure none of the plants in the 4 pack I picked out had holes or "dirt" on them.


My new cauliflower plants.

I noticed some holes in my eggplants today. Not sure what the deal is with that... I checked them over good and didn't spot any bugs or eggs. And none of the plants surrounding the eggplant have any damage...


Holey eggplants, Batman. What's wrong??

My fooled you pepper plants are looking good. They have some buds on them, so in the next few days i should see some pretty flowers on them. After that we'll have us some jalapenos!


Won't be long now!

The blueberries are looking good, and although the late frost got the early berries we've still got some on the way. I think the frost killing the berries was a good thing. Now my bushes can concentrate more on growing and less on making berries.

More blueberries on the way

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of your pepper plants!

    It's terrible that you got infested plants from the nursery. Did you point out the eggs to them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but now that I think of it I should have. But we got there pretty close to 5 p.m., and we were in a rush not to keep the folks there past quitting time.

    ReplyDelete