Saturday, May 15, 2010

They're back. I guess they never left.

I just thought I'd gotten rid of the little worm things, but I checked today, and they're back. Not in as high numbers, but they're still out there in my garden, and I still don't know what they are or what I need to do about them. Anyone out there know??

What are they??

My tomato plants are all starting to bud out, and so are the squash and zucchini. Still nothing from the eggplant though. Maybe they take a little longer to put off buds. I can't remember when my eggplant started blooming last year, but that was a different variety, and I got a much earlier start.

Blooming Cherokee Purple. At least I hope it is. But it could turn out to be a Green Zebra. It wasn't labeled so it's a crap shoot. Who knows I may like green tomatoes, but how do you know when they're ready to be picked??

Zuke covered in blooms. Can't wait to try out that zucchini lasagna recipe I found.

Speaking of starting on Tuesday I attempted to start some Black Cherry tomato seeds as well as some Fooled You jalapeno seeds. So far I've got bupkus on the tomatoes and jalapenos, but my dad told me peppers take a long time to sprout. The tomatoes should be up by now I would think. Part of my problem is deciding where I put them to germinate. We keep our house pretty cool, and though it's warm during the day outside at night it's still getting down in the upper 60's. I've read to put them on top of the fridge, but our fridge is cold.

Wait! I just had an epiphany! I'll put them in our entertainment center. It's always warm in there. I think I did that last year. I really need to go back and read some of my old blog posts. That's the whole reason I started this blog - so I could remember what I did each year and learn from my mistakes and my victories.

I also planted 8 okra seeds I saved from last year's neglected plants. I was pleased as punch when I went out to the garden this morning and saw that one had sprouted!! It's my first sprout from my own saved seed. How awesome is that?! Not sure how the germination rate is going to be, I just picked the old okra, put them in a ziploc bag, set them on the kitchen countertop and forgot about them til this week. We'll see.

Baby okra. Will it soon be joined by its siblings?

2 comments:

  1. Those could be centipedes. If you're organic, apply beneficial nematodes to your yard and beds. They'll take care of many soil-borne pests including roaches, snails, slugs, fleas, thrips, and ticks. In the meantime, you might try sprinkling them with diatomaceous earth or Sluugo Plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Stephanie. My dad had suggested d. earth too. Now I need to find someone in town that carries it...

    Several folks on the square foot garden forum told me my little critters were millipedes, and I'd kinda started thinking they might be when I posted my message over on that forum. When I Googled small brown millipedes I found pictures identical to my invaders.

    ReplyDelete