Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another productive afternoon.

I'm still diggin' this getting off at 5:00. This evening I had plenty of daylight to plant the corn I wrapped in wet paper towels this morning. I put in 3 squares of Country Gentleman and 2 squares of Hopi Pink. I already have three different varieties of corn planted in the other squares - Hickory King, True Gold, and Stowell's Evergreen . I'm trying to decide what sweet corn I like best hence the different varieties of corn. Hopi Pink is used for making corn meal, and I'm interested to see how it turns out. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to make corn meal or use it as a decorative corn. I plan on planting a couple more types of corn later on this season - Dakota Popping and Rainbow Sweet Inca. I think the nieces and nephews will like the popping corn.

In addition to planting new corn, I also thinned out my other corn. I really hate thinning, but it is a necessary evil.


Before thinning

After thinning

A cream pea is about to burst through

That green bean sprout coming right along

A blackeyed pea has sprouted. I didn't even see it yesterday.

ooh look at the baby maters! This is my Cherokee Purple.

The sugar snaps are really putting on lots of flowers

A close up of one of the blooms

No comments:

Post a Comment