Saturday, April 18, 2009

Enough rain already

Well, we needed the rain, but this is a bit much. Two solid days of rain? This isn't how I'd imagined spending my 3 day weekend. During a brief intermission in the rain I went out to check my garden, and two of the boxes had mushrooms growing in them. Guess that's a sure sign of too much rain.

I'm seriously considering moving the boxes. My lettuce plants are still only about an inch tall, and I planted them back in February. Aside from the late spring freeze the weather has been warm enough that they should be taller than they are. The only thing I can think is that they're not getting enough sunlight. I knew the boxes would not get any morning sun, but now that the trees on the west side of the house have their leaves, the boxes get shaded by 5:30 or 6:00, and the boxes on the right hand side don't get full sun until mid-afternoon. That's a fairly small window of full sunlight for those boxes, and especially the lettuce because it's on the far right side of the back box. Now if it'll ever stop raining I can determine exactly where I want to put them.


No comments:

Post a Comment